Been Producing for a while, what sort of gear can I get for a minimum cost if I want to try a bit of DJ'ing?

So, I’ve been deep in the music production game for a bit now, and I’ve gotta say, the whole DJ scene is starting to call my name. But, let’s be real, I don’t want to empty my wallet on this before I even know if it’s my jam, you know?

What’s the starter kit look like for a budding DJ on a budget? I’m on the hunt for a decent DJ controller that won’t cost an arm and a leg, I’ve got headphones, but would need software too I guess. What’s essential, and what can I skip?

Oh, and if anyone got the scoop on some deals, I’m all ears!

Thanks a ton in advance!

Hey! Diving into the DJ scene is definitely a good move, and it’s totally possible to do it without breaking the bank.

Starting with the essentials, you’ve already got headphones, so you’re halfway there. The next big piece is a decent DJ controller. For beginners who are budget-conscious, the Numark Mixtrack Pro FX and the Pioneer DJ DDJ-200 are both solid choices. They won’t set you back too much and they have all the features necessary to get started, like jog wheels, faders, and pads for cue points and effects.

As for software, a lot of controllers come with lite versions of popular DJ software like Serato DJ Lite or Rekordbox. These are perfect when you’re starting out. They give you a good taste of what the software can do, and you can always upgrade later when you need more advanced features.

Aside from that, you might want to pick up some decent speakers if you’re planning to practice at home or play at small gigs. You don’t need anything massive to start with; a pair of quality powered speakers can do the trick and are often good enough for smaller venues or home setups.

Regarding deals, keep an eye on sites like Sweetwater or Guitar Center, especially around holidays or special sales events. Signing up for newsletters can also alert you to flash sales or clearance items.

Feel free to experiment and evolve your setup as you grow. The best part about DJing is making it your own, so enjoy the ride and welcome to the club!

¡Buena suerte, amigo!

In the same boat, looking for just a controller basically as I have the other stuff, dont wanna break the bank but also dont wanna upgrade super soon after I learn the basics…

Would something like this look like a good option? Gonna keep looking but this is around my price range I think

or maybe

Both the Pioneer and the Numark are excellent choices, especially for someone who’s just starting but might not want to upgrade too soon after getting the basics down. The DDJ-FLX4 is great because it’s compatible with both rekordbox and Serato DJ software, which gives you flexibility depending on which DJ software you prefer or want to experiment with. Its new jog wheel design and performance pads will definitely give you a solid foundation for scratching and triggering cues and effects.

On the other hand, the Numark NS4 FX offers control over 4 software decks, which is a step up if you think you might get into more complex mixes or if you plan on playing larger sets as you gain more confidence and skill. The additional decks can really open up your creative possibilities, making it a good investment if you see yourself quickly outgrowing a 2-deck controller.

Price-wise, the DDJ-FLX4 is a bit more budget-friendly, so if cost is a major factor right now, it’s a great entry point. However, if you can stretch the budget a bit, the NS4 FX’s extra features provide a lot of value for just a bit more money.

Keep an eye on sales and maybe even consider looking for second-hand options if you want to save a bit more. Both models you’re looking at have good reputations and should serve you well!

Bro start by building your music library. Gear comes & goes. It all basically does the exact same thing give or take. Don’t stop looking for new/great music

get your tunes from Bandcamp or if you’re doing electronic, beatport.

Altho there are ofc some equip needs, wouldt worry too much about specifics:
Essential 1 - Headphones , Essential 2 - Laptop , Essential 3 - Speakers , Essential 4 - DJ Program for mixing/ A mixer, Essential 5 - Turn Tables